GIS WHOLESALE Security Policies
Internet security is a non-issue: In spite of $10 billion in online sales in 1999, VISA, Netscape, Microsoft and the major Internet sites (such as Amazon.com, REI, The Wall Street Journal, FTD Flowers, etc.) have been unable to document even one example of credit card fraud occurring as a result of someone stealing credit card information from a system that uses the standard Internet security technology described below. NOT ONE!
Using your credit card is safer than a check: If there is a problem with any purchase, your credit card company will remove that purchase from your statement. By law, they cannot hold you responsible for more than $50.00 of unauthorized use of your card.
OUR SECURITY GUARANTEE: If you suspect that unauthorized use of your credit card has occurred as a result of your credit card purchase with us, notify your credit card provider in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures. If your credit card company determines that you are the victim of fraud but does not waive the $50.00 liability for unauthorized charges, we will reimburse you $50.00 for reporting it. (Please read the guarantee terms and conditions regarding the guarantee.)
We use industry-standard secure transaction technology: Whenever you are on one of our catalog pages where your credit card information is requested or displayed, you’ll notice that the Internet address of the page begins with “https.” The “s” in the address means that our secure server has asked your computer’s Web browser software to encrypt all information with super-secure, 128-bit encryption technology before transmitting it. This encryption is performed using an industry-standard security protocol known as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). SSL is a feature included in most modern Internet browsers, including Netscape, Internet Explorer, Compuserve 3.0 or higher and AOL 2.0 or higher. Information encrypted with SSL is nearly impossible for unauthorized parties to decode. All major Internet stores use this technology, and it has been approved by VISA, Mastercard and American Express.
We take extra steps: At GIS WHOLESALE, your credit card information is not stored on our office computers: it is stored on our secure Internet servers. Only two people in our organization have access to this information. Because of this technology, placing an order on our secure system is much safer than sending unencrypted data to a fax machine, where the information could be intercepted as it travels over the telephone line or, more likely, someone in the receiving office could read the fax. It’s also safer than placing a telephone order because you do not have to give your secure information to a telephone clerk who will enter it into an insecure office computer system. The next time you place an order with a “traditional” mail order company, ask them who in their company will be able to access your information…you might be surprised at the answer.
The GIS WHOLESALE Security Guarantee
We are offering a limited guarantee against any unauthorized charges on your credit card for 6 months following your use of the card to purchase products from our store. If unauthorized charges appear on your credit card periodic statement due to a breach of security on our server at any time within 6 months of your last transaction with us, we’ll cover your liability up to the US$50.00 federal limit, subject to the following terms and conditions:
- The credit card guarantee applies only to purchases made with a credit card issued by a United States bank or other U.S. credit card issuing authority. Sorry, but the guarantee does not apply to consumers using non-U.S. issued credit cards because regulations vary between countries.
- The guarantee is only offered for credit cards used to purchase services made via our secure server, not via fax or phone.
- The guarantee covers a maximum liability of $50 per eligible credit card if this amount is not first waived by your card issuer. You must first apply for any waiver of such liability if such is required by your card issuer. If you do not cancel and replace the card, we will not be liable for further unauthorized charges on the same card.
- When making your claim, you will be required to complete a short claim form that includes an authorization for our credit card service provider to obtain information or records concerning the claim. You must also provide us with (i) a copy of the credit card statement that includes the unauthorized charges, (ii) a copy of a statement from the authority that issued the credit card showing a charge for your liability, stating that they refused to waive the $50.00 federal maximum authorized charge and confirming that you were subject to fraudulent use of your credit card, and (iv) any other supporting information, such as a filed police report.
- In the event of unauthorized use of your credit card, you must notify your credit card issuer in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures. You will need to cancel your card if required to do so by your card issuer. You must report all unauthorized charges to your card issuer promptly and no later than 60 days after the card issuer mails the first card statement showing the unauthorized charges.
You should apply to us for any claim for liability for unauthorized charges not waived by your card issuer as promptly as possible. You must make your claim no later than 180 days following the last purchase you made from our store using that credit card.